Selje Pilgrim Center
Selje Regional Pilgrim Centre is located in Selje in Stad municipality and the sacred island of Selja is just a short boat trip away. The island of Selja became the first pilgrim destination in the country when Olav Tryggvason found relics in a pit on the island in 996. According to legend the relics were from the God-fearing princess Sunniva, who fled from Ireland when she was to be wed against her will to a heathen Viking chief. St. Sunniva was Norway's first saint and is the only female saint, after she was martyred in a pit on the island.
|Contact information:||Daglig leder Tonje Ramse Trædal|
|Phone:||+47 926 29 512|
Selje prestegard, Nabben 5, 6740 Selje
Selje Regional Pilgrim Centre is one of four regional pilgrim centres along the Kystpilegrimsleia coastal trail. The centre assists with advice and guidance for pilgrims, businesses and stakeholders in these five key places:
Selje Pilgrim’s hut
Selje Regional Pilgrim Centre is located in the preserved vicarage in Selje, in Stad municipality. Selje vicarage was established on this spot in the late 1500s. The main building, which today houses the Pilgrim Centre and others, was built in 1782-84. Five other buildings on the property were built between 1784 and 1884. These will be used in the future.
Learn more about Selje vicarage and the Pilgrim Centre here at www.seljeprestegard.no
The vicarage is now a meeting place for pilgrims, visitors and local villagers. It has a pilgrim reception area, reading nook, displays and information. In time, it will also provide overnight accommodation for pilgrims. The vicarage is staffed during the summer months and the café is open all year round. At the residents’ centre in the Selje municipal building, you can get your pilgrim passport stamped, find information and experience the St. Sunniva and monastery exhibition.
Selje Pilgrim Centre is open every weekday from 1 June to August, from 9 am – 4 pm
Opening hours outside this period: See www.seljeprestegard.no for updated opening hours throughout the year.
The resident centre in the municipal building is open all year from 9 am to 3:30 pm (extended opening hours in the summer months)