Today’s church is the third one in the same place. In 1908 a fire consumed the church almost down to its core. It was rebuilt after a year, in 1909. Little is therefore left of the medieval church’s materials. Still, the location clearly shows the importance of the area. The well-known Runestone (Tunesteinen) was found close to the church yard in 1627, and there are several monumental burial sites close by. The Pilgrim Way goes through the church yard and alongside the church walls.
Photo: Riksantikvaren/Trond Skovdahl